Moral restitution for internees in the Dutch East Indies: gathering the required documents

To be eligible for individual moral restitution for people interned in the Dutch East Indies, you must be able to prove certain things. On this page you can read about which information you need and how you can obtain the required information.

    The following matters are important to prove eligibility for the scheme:

    • ownership of a home
    • levy of ground rent/street tax on the property
    • back taxes for ground rent/street tax on the property
    • internment in the Dutch East Indies
    • legal heir

      Ownership of a home

      You can demonstrate the ownership of a home by means of:

      • Your own records (copy of the original property deed)
      • Copy of property deed from Land Register. If you do not have the original property deed, you may request a copy of a property deed from the Land Register. The municipality will be happy to help you. If you have any questions, send an email to

      Levy of ground rent and/or street tax on the property

      To ascertain whether ground rent was levied on a property, you can do the following:

      • Check your own records
        • Do you no longer have these details in your records? Contact the municipality. Send the address (street name and house number) of the property to to see whether your family owned it. The municipality will search in the preserved records of the municipal Ground Rent Department.

        To check whether street tax was levied your personal records are most important source.

            Back taxes for ground rent/street tax on the property

            Your personal records should show whether back taxes were actually imposed. You may have a copy of the original levy or a copy of a receipt. Other possibilities for demonstrating this are:

            • Documents showing that an objection was submitted at the time.
            • The notary statement drawn up after the sale of the property (conveyance deed). This statement can provide information about any unpaid ground rent and/or street tax. This notary statement was not retained with the deed and cannot be retrieved from a notary.    
            • A real estate survivorship deed which was drawn up if an owner died shortly before or just after the war. Sometimes the real estate survivorship deed records a debt resulting from unpaid ground rent or street tax during the war. The municipality will be happy to put you in contact with the national tax authority which will investigate this for you. Send an email to

            Internment in the Dutch East Indies

            One of the conditions is that the owner was in the Dutch East Indies as a citizen or as a war internee by the Japanese authorities. The Municipality of The Hague requests you to provide evidence by supplying a (brief) statement of facts with places and dates.

            Legal heir

            Finally it is important to be able to prove that you are a legal heir of the owner by presenting a certificate of inheritance, for example. If you live abroad and your parent(s) died there, it will have to be established according to the law in the relevant country that you are the legal heir. Only then may you apply for a Dutch certificate of inheritance. You may have another document such as a birth certificate or an obituary notice which mentions you as a surviving relative.

            More information

            Do you have any questions? Contact the secretariat of the Advisory Committee for Individual Moral Restitution for people interned in the Dutch East Indies by sending an email to:

            Also see Regulation moral restitution for internees in the Dutch East Indies

            Published: 1 June 2018Modified: 4 June 2018