Lost and found items

Have you found something or are you missing something? Read what you can do.

If you have lost or found something, look at the national website www.verlorenofgevonden.nl. You can register found objects and search for lost objects using this website.

Please note: it can take between several days up to a week before a registered lost or found item is posted on the website.


  • Turn in driving licences, passports and identity cards to the municipality at a city district office
  • Send foreign documents to consulates or embassies
  • Send cards/passes to the relevant authority. The address is often printed on the back of the card/pass
  • Immediately contact the police if you find weapons and/or explosives
  • If you dropped something down a drain (for example, keys), report the problem to the municipality
  • Have you dropped something in an underground rubbish container (ORAC)? Contact the Haagse Milieu Services (HMS), tel.: (070) 311 77 99
  • If you lost something while travelling on public transport, contact the transportation company.

You found an item

  • Register the item on www.verlorenofgevonden.nl
  • Your personal details will be visible only to the municipality which manages the administration
  • Keep the item at home and make sure that it is in the same condition as when you found it
  • If the rightful owner finds the item on www.verlorenofgevonden.nl, he/she will get your contact details through the website and will contact you
  • If the rightful owner does not contact you, the item will become your property after 1 year (legal time limit)
  • Would you prefer not to keep the item at home? Turn it into the municipality at any of The Hague's city district offices
  • The item will then be stored in a municipal depository.

You lost an item

  • Look at www.verlorenofgevonden.nl to see whether somebody has found your item. You can also report your missing item through the website
  • If you find your lost item on www.verlorenofgevonden.nl, you can get the contact details of the finder from the municipality. Or the municipality will let you know if the item is in the municipal depository
  • Make sure that you can prove that you are the rightful owner. You can do this for example with the following information:
    1. specific features of the item
    2. where and when you lost the item
    3. a document or item that goes together with your lost object, for example a (spare) key for your bicycle, a proof of purchase, a registration number, etc.
  • Bring a valid form of identification when you go to collect your item
  • This could be at the finder’s home or at the municipality.