Declaration of no impediment

Would you like to get married in another country? Then you will sometimes need a declaration of no impediment. This document states that you are not currently married and that you and your partner are permitted to get married under Dutch law.


  • You or your partner has Dutch nationality.
  • Do you no longer live in the Netherlands? Then request a statement from the Dutch municipality where you last lived before you moved abroad.
  • Have you never been registered in the Netherlands? Then request a statement at the Netherlands embassy or consulate in the country where you wish to get married.
  • Minors need permission from their parents (or legal guardians) and in some cases also from the government (Minister of Justice). For more information, consult Huwelijksdispensatie to the website of the Ministry of Security and Justice.
  • Have you been placed under guardianship? Then you will first need permission from the curator.
  • Foreign documents which are not in Dutch, French, German or English have to be translated into Dutch by a sworn translator in the Netherlands.
  • Documents from certain countries must be legalised or have an apostille.

Needed for the application

For the application you will need a valid form of identification for you and your partner. In addition, the municipality can sometimes ask you to submit other documents:

  • A recent copy of your birth certificate as well as the birth certificate for your partner.
  • Proof that neither you nor your future partner is still married (if you and your future partner were married previously). This can be a divorce certificate or a death certificate
  • Did you move abroad or do you and your future partner live abroad? Then both of you need a recent declaration from that country which states where you and your future partner live and what your nationality and marital status are.

Apart from the valid forms of identification, you need to submit the original documents.


  • In person: make an appointment at the Centrum or Escamp city office. 

Make an appointment

  • In writing: send a signed letter to the Department of Public Service. State in this letter that you would like a declaration of no impediment.


€ 23.60 excluding postage (rate for 2019).

How long does it take?

  • For a request in writing you will be notified within approximately 3 working days if your documents have been approved. If your application is complete, you will receive the declaration with your original documents after approximately 3 days.
  • At the municipal counter: You will get the declaration immediately if you produce all of the original documents required.