Marriage certificate

A marriage certificate provides written proof that your marriage is recorded in the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages. You can request a copy of the certificate in Dutch or as a multiple-language (international) extract. You request this in the municipality where you were married.


  • The wedding took place in The Hague.
  • Were you married abroad? You can register your foreign marriage certificate with the Registry Office of the Municipality of The Hague. You can then request a copy or extract.

    How does it work?

    An official agency asks for a marriage certificate. You request this in the municipality where you were married. You will then get a copy or a multiple-language (international) extract of the certificate. The original certificate remains the property of the municipality.

    Which document do I need?

    Usually the official agency requiring the certificate will tell you which document you need. It will also indicate how old the document may be. The difference between the copy and the multiple-language (international) extract:

    • A copy is exactly the same as the certificate itself. It is also called a certified, official or authenticated copy. The copy is only available in Dutch.
    • A multiple-language (international) extract contains a summary of the certificate. The extract has an explanation in 10 languages: Dutch, English, French, German, Spanish, Greek, Italian, Portuguese, Turkish and Serbo-Croatian.

    When you apply for the certificate you can indicate which document you would like to have.


    € 13.40 in 2019 (excluding postage costs). After you have applied you will receive the invoice by email.

    How long does it take?

    The municipality will send you your copy or multiple-language (international) extract within 15 working days.

    Good to know

    • You can also request a copy or extract for someone else. Read more about this under Request a certificate for someone else.
    • Was the marriage certificate drawn up more than 75 years ago? Then you will need to contact The Hague City Archives.
    • If you would like to use the document abroad, then you often need an 'apostille'. You can request this through the court. Read more about the apostille on


    Apply for the marriage certificate

    Would you like to request the certificate using your DigiD? You need to be registered in the Personal Records Database (BRP). Read more about the BRP on

    Also see