Convert a foreign document into a Dutch certificate

Do you have a foreign document? For example, a birth, marriage or death certificate? You can have these foreign documents converted into Dutch certificate.

It is not mandatory to convert a foreign document into a Dutch certificate. If you need a copy of this document in the future, for example in order to get married abroad or for a notary, it is easier if you have a Dutch certificate. Your foreign document will not lose its validity if you convert it to a Dutch certificate.

You can submit a request to convert your foreign document into a Dutch certificate to the Municipality of The Hague. Even if you live abroad. Do you live in the Netherlands? Submit your foreign document first to the municipality where you are registered. The document will then be registered in the Personal Records Database (BRP). Read more under Register foreign documents in the BRP. Afterwards you can have the document converted into a Dutch certificate at the Municipality of The Hague.

How does it work?

  • You can use the online form to submit a request to convert 1 document into a Dutch certificate or several different documents at the same time. 
  • After you have submitted your request, you will receive a confirmation email with a reference number (LTK-nummer).
  • Is your request complete? The municipality will ask you to send the original documents. The municipality will check the authenticity of all the documents.
  • Is your request incomplete or have you not sent all of the documents? Then the municipality will not be able to process your request.
  • Has the municipality approved your documents and converted them into a Dutch certificate? Then the municipality will notify you of this. You will get the original documents back. 
  • The municipality will return your original documents by registered post. You will receive an invoice for the postage and delivery charges.


  • The person for whom the document applies must hold Dutch nationality (or have held it in the past), or official Dutch asylum status.
  • The foreign certificate must be drawn up and issued by a competent authority.
  • Some certificates or documents need to be legalised. You can consult the website of the Dutch government to see which legalisation rules apply.
  • Documents from abroad must be drawn up in Dutch, English, French or German. Is the document in another language? Then a certified translation in 1 of these languages is required. You may use a multilingual standard form for documents from the European Union (EU). Request this form from the issuing authority.

Required with your request

  • The foreign document which must be converted (legalised and with a certified translation, if necessary).
  • Proof that the person for whom the certificate applies is or has been a Dutch national. This can be a copy of a Dutch identity card or passport, or a Dutch nationality certificate.
  • In the case of asylum status: a copy of a valid Dutch residence permit.
  • A copy of the applicant’s passport or identity card.

Additional documents

Additional documents are required depending upon your request:

    • Were your parents married or registered partners at the time of birth? Then a copy of the marriage certificate or certificate of registered partnership. If this is a Dutch certificate, this is not required.
    • Did your parents acknowledge you as their child, were you adopted or was there another manner of establishing parenthood? Then all relevant documents such as an Acknowledgement of Parenthood or adoption certificate.
    • Has your name changed? All documents related to the name change.
    • A copy of the birth certificates of the married or registered partners. If this is a Dutch certificate, this is not required.
    • A copy of the passport or identity card for both applicants.

    Fill in the Declaration of Non-Dutch Nationality if at least 1 of the partners does not have Dutch nationality.

    You do not need to fill in the declaration if you are a citizen of an EU country or you have a permanent residence permit. Have you been married or registered partners for more than 10 years? Or has this marriage/registered partnership been terminated? Then you also do not have to fill in the declaration.

    Declaration of Non-Dutch Nationality (in Dutch) (PDF, 158 kB)
  • Has your marriage certificate already been converted into a Dutch one? And were you divorced abroad? Then you can have the divorce specified on your marriage certificate. Submit a request for this. Select the ‘huwelijksakte’ option and scan your foreign divorce documents.  
    • A copy of the birth certificate for the deceased. If this is a Dutch certificate, this is not required.
    • Was the deceased married or did he/she have a registered partnership in a foreign country? And was this not registered in the Personal Records Database (BRP)? Then all marriage or partnership certificates.

Make a request

It is only possible to make a request online.

Make a request

  • You do not live in The Hague? Then do not use your DigiD when submitting your request.
  • Make sure you have your citizen service number (BSN) readily available when you submit the request.
  • Scan both the front and the back of your documents.



How long does it take?

Your request can take up to 4 months. It is not possible to request an expedited procedure.

Good to know

  • You will not get a citizen service number (BSN) by converting your document into a Dutch certificate.

  • Have the documents you submitted been forged, falsified or obtained through fraud? The municipality will not register them and will not return them to you. The municipality will report this to the police.
  • Would you like to view your converted certificate? You can apply for a copy at the municipality.
  • The documents submitted to convert a foreign document into a Dutch certificate may be older than 6 months.
  • Would you like to convert several foreign documents? Indicate this in the same online form.
  • You can make a safe copy of your identity document with your mobile telephone or tablet using the KopieID app. Read more on the website of the Dutch government.

Also see

Change your registered sex (transgenders born abroad)