Swimming in The Hague
Published: 24 January 2011 Modified: 22 September 2011
Naturally The Hague’s beaches at Scheveningen and Kijkduin are the place to be in the summer but The Hague offers lots more in the way of swimming, both outdoors and indoors.
But the North Sea isn’t the only place you can take a refreshing dip. In and around The Hague you’ll also find a number of natural swimming locations just waiting to be discovered by the more adventurous swimmers. Children will delight in the area’s water parks. And if it’s not really beach weather, a pool is never far away.
To help you find a pool, water park, natural swimming location, information on swimming water quality and information on swimming lessons, please visit the articles below.
- Swimming pools. A complete list of the swimming pools in The Hague and surrounding area, including outdoor pools.
- Swimming pool activities. A list of activities most frequently organised in The Hague's municipal pools (in Dutch with their English equivalents).
- Natural swimming. Of course the North Sea is the ideal place to take a refreshing dip, but there are other natural spots in The Hague where you can enjoy a swim.
- Swimming water quality. The official swimming season for recreational water is from 1 May to October. Especially in summer, hot weather can have a negative effect on water quality. Here you’ll find health and safety tips.
- Safe swimming in the sea. Swimming in the sea can be a wonderful experience, but it also has its dangers. Strong currents can be treacherous, especially in the vicinity of breakwaters.
- Beach safety and the Rescue Brigade. The beach resorts of Scheveningen and Kijkduin attract several million visitors per year who are unfamiliar with the dangers of the sea.
- Swimming lessons. With water all around in the Netherlands, learning to swim is in no way a luxury but an absolute necessity.
- Swimming lessons at the municipality. Inexpensive swimming lessons are offered at five of the municipality’s swimming pools.
- Swimming pool house rules. The Municipality of The Hague aims to ensure that all guests can enjoy The Hague's swimming pool facilities to the fullest. For this reason, we have devised a number of house rules.
- Swimming pool safety: What parents should know. As a parent you should be aware of the rules and tips for safety in the swimming pool.