Peace Palace Library
- 11 September 2009
- 28 April 2014
From 1899 onwards the establishment of a library to serve the Permanent Court of Arbitration was an integral part of the concept of the creation of the Peace Palace. As such the library benefited from the generous donation made by the American millionaire Andrew Carnegie.
In 1913 the Peace Palace Library (PPL) was opened as the world's first single library on international, comparative and foreign national law. Over the years it has developed the universally-accepted principal of international legal research.
The PPL, which is administered by the Carnegie Foundation, nowadays serves not only the Permanent Court of Arbitration and the International Court of Justice, but all the other international organisations based in The Hague.
In accordance with technological developments, the PPL has developed an extensive digital library, providing access to institutions all over the world. The library has one of the world's largest collections in the field of international law, public and private law, and foreign national law, as well as an extensive collection on international political and diplomatic history and the history of peace movements.
It further houses the Grotius Collection, the collection of the important 17th century Dutchman Hugo de Groot, founder of the science of international law.