Insurance for students
Work and money
Published: 10 February 2012 Modified: 22 August 2012
It is important to ensure that you proper insurance coverage during your stay in The Hague. By law, it is mandatory to have health insurance. It is also recommended to take out liability insurance.
Everybody in the Netherlands must have insurance for medical expenses. The type of health insurance you need depends on your personal situation.
There are three possibilities:
- You have to take out a Dutch public healthcare insurance: This applies mainly to foreign nationals who have a part-time job or are doing an internship in the Netherlands.
- Your insurance policy in your home country covers your stay in the Netherlands: This applies mainly to EU/EEA or Swiss nationals without a job or internship in the Netherlands.
- You take out a new or special insurance policy for your stay in the Netherlands: This applies mainly to non EU/EEA or Swiss nationals without a job or internship in the Netherlands.
The Netherlands is sometimes referred to as an 'insurance country', meaning that it's possible to purchase insurance for almost any kind of mishap. A few types of insurance are useful for foreign students in The Hague.
- Liability insurance: If you cause an accident and someone is injured or if you damage someone's property, you are responsible for paying all the costs caused by the accident.
- Repatriation insurance: This insurance policy covers the costs of returning to your own country for medical treatment.
- Household contents insurance: This type of insurance covers the contents of your home against loss due to causes such as theft, fire or water damage.
- Insurance packages
Study in The Hague provides information about insurance companies which offer insurance packages tailored to the needs of international students in the Netherlands.
- news and events
- getting there and around
- nature and environment
- relocation and settling
- education and childcare
- municipality of The Hague
- culture and arts
- products and services
- international The Hague
- introducing The Hague