Access to Car-Free Zone
Traffic Circulation Plan
Published: 05 November 2009 Modified: 12 November 2009
As of 20 November 2009 parts of downtown The Hague will be closed to vehicular traffic using retractable barriers. This will create more space for pedestrians, cyclists and terraces.
Vehicles which need to be in the car-free zone will be able to enter the area in the morning during the so-called venstertijden (delivery times). Shops and other businesses will therefore remain accessible to suppliers.
During the morning delivery times the retractable barriers will be lowered when a vehicle approaches. Vehicles are only permitted to load and unload cargo; parking is not permitted. Delivery times are:
- weekdays from 5.00 till 11.30 hrs.
- weekends from 6.00 till 11.30 hrs.
Please look at the map below to see which areas fall under the car-free zone. The direction of the one-way streets is also indicated on the map.
The fire brigade, police and ambulances have a permanent exemption and will be able to enter the car-free zone at all times. In addition, several special groups (such as money trucks, GPs, etc.) are eligible for a permanent exemption. This exemption is also applicable to people who have a parking space on their own property.
Residents who have no parking space on their own property can obtain a waiver with which they can drive into the area between 18.00 and 20.00 hrs. and on Thursday (koopavond) between 21.00 and 22.00 hrs.
People who occasionally need to enter the area by car may request an incidental exemption. This includes wedding and funeral processions.
Even if someone has an exemption, he is only permitted to enter the car-free zone to load and unload cargo or to allow passengers to get in and out of the car. Vehicles are not allowed to park in the car-free zone.
Taxis need to abide by the following rules:
- All taxis are allowed to enter the entire car-free zone from 21.00 till 11.30 hrs.
- All taxis will be able to drive in the car-free zone from 11.30 to 21.00 hrs. until the Hague taxi certification (Haags Keurmerk) is introduced.
- Once the Hague taxi certification is introduced, only certified Hague taxis will be allowed to drive from 11.30 till 21.00 hrs. along the following three routes: Spui <-> Hofweg, Grote Markt <-> Lutherse Burgwal and Buitenhof <-> Kerkplein
- The taxi stand will be located on the Grote Markt after 21.00 hrs.
Anyone who wants to enter the car-free zone at any other time must have a waiver. Residents and buisinesses in the car-free zone may request an exemption online or at a sub-municipal office. Fill in the online form: Ontheffing flexibele afsluiting or contact the municipality.
(click on name for more information)
Stadsdeelkantoor Haagse Hout
Map New Traffic Situation City Centre (PDF, 171 kB)
- City Centre to become Car Free
- Route Map for City Centre
- Modified Traffic Situation in City Centre
- Access to Car-Free Zone
- Redesign of Spui starts 4 January
- Spui now car-free
- Air quality improves on Veerkaden
- Clean air campaign for Schilderswijk
- Air quality improving in The Hague
- Ecological paint being tested in Koningstunnel